Galations 5:22

But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Galations 5:22

Looking for the TUESDAY TO DO PARTY?

The Blackberry Vine
CLICK PICTURES FOR CURRENT PARTY

Friday, October 8, 2010

Wild Game Dinner

I'd love to see your gift wrapping ideas!
<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>*<*>
For years, my brother(s) put on Wild Game Dinners.  I usually contributed some sides as they were the "men at the grill."  Well BB, husband & I decided to have a surprise party for LB's 30th birthday.  Between brother & husband we had plenty of game.  Of course, this was way back before computers...well, not really, but I'm pretty sure I had never even heard of blogging then.  Anyway, we were so busy at the party, that I never had a chance to take pictures (on film...no digital) of the spread...and was it ever a spread!

My sweet MIL is having a Wild Game Dinner soon, that I'm sure will put my little affair to shame.  She will not doubt share her beautiful table on her site EntertainingWomen in early November.  Even if wild game isn't your thing, her table and hostess skills will blow you away.

This morning, we were chatting about her event and I told her I'd send her some of the recipes that I often used.  She asked for copies (high praise) so I thought I'd also share them with you.

We had the invites printed at a cute stationary shop in Austin.  (Sorry I can't remember the name, but it is in the same shopping center as Central Market.)  Now I'm thinking, "I could have SO made that."  I was a working gal at the time and had more money than time.   Things -  have - changed.

You may be wondering, how in the WORLD can she remember what she made for that dinner?!?  Don't worry...I don't take large amounts of Ginkgo Bola or anything.  As I planned the party I made a notebook to keep my recipes for that event in as well as a time table for preparation.  I also do this for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It makes it so much easier to find past recipes, ideas and suggestions for next time.

Here is the entire menu.  In the future, I'll add the recipes of some of the other dishes.  The caponata is another particularly good recipe.  One couple sat at the end of the table where I had the caponata and proceeded to eat and eat and eat it.  I was flattered, but I'm not just a one trick pony!

The Menu
Caponata w/assorted Crackers
Hot Artichoke Dip w/assorted crackers, chips
Spinach Dip in Sourdough bowl
Chips and Salsa
Queso
Horseradish Squares*
Spinach Pom-Poms*
Crunchy Potato Bites*
Black Bean Salad
French Bread Salad
Wild Boar Sausage Crescent Rolls
Grilled Dove (Recipe Follows)
Grilled Venison Skewers
Grilled Venison Link Sausage
Venison Tamales
Fredricksburg Wild Game Roll w/Jezebel Sauce
Venison Chili
Hunters' Stew
Corn Casserole
Baked Beans
Green Chile Rice (Recipe Follows)
Wild Rice & Sausage Dressing
French Bread Loaves
Blackberry Cobbler (BB's & LB's favorite dessert!)
Margarita Cheesecake
Pina Colada Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
Bottled waters, cokes, assorted beers, wines and Slushy Whiskey Sours
*These did not turn out that well...have not made again.

I made EVERYTHING minus the French Loaves (thanks HEB,) venison tamales (brought by BB,)  the Hunter's Stew (brought by one of the brother's "friends,")  and the dove breasts that my husband provided, help to prepare and grilled.

It was a great time!  My LB was SO SURPRISED!  Many of his friends from out-of-town showed up.  They were the real gift.  I also provided brunch for all of the overnight guests (we had a few more than we had planned for!!)...that is a post for another day!

Green Chile Rice
(This is also a great accompaniment to BBQ.  Men LOVE it!)

1/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups freshly cooked white rice
2 cups sour cream
1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
1 large bay leaf, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 4oz cans chopped green chiles
2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
chopped parsley

I usually make this ahead and stick in the fridge.  Set out about 20 minutes before baking.  Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven.

Grease a 12x8x2-inch pan and set aside.  In a large skillet, saute onion in hot butter until golden.  Remove from heat and stir in hot rice, sour cream, cottage cheese, bay leaf, salt & pepper.  Layer half of the rice mixture in the prepared pan, followed by half of the chiles and then half of the grated cheese.  Layer the remainder of the rice, green chiles and cheese.  Bake uncovered for 25 minutes (or 30 out of the fridge) until bubbly and hot.  Garnish with parsley.        
Serves 12

Marinated Dove Breasts with Jalapeno & Monterey Jack
Many people are not fans of the gamey taste of wild birds.  This marinade takes away the strong gamey taste, leaving a succulent dove breast.  We made 60+ of these for brother's party.  They were gone as soon as they came off the grill!

1 cup olive oil
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic (pressed)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
16 dove breasts, boned
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded, cut into quarters
16 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 16 slices
8 slices bacon, cut into halves

Combine first 7 ingredients in a extra large Ziploc bag and mix well.  Add dove breasts.  Be sure all breasts are covered, seal bag releasing air.  Marinate at least 24 hours.  Soak wooden picks for half an hour prior to putting doves together.  Drain.

Place 1 jalapeno quarter and 1 cheese slice on each dove.  Wrap each with 1 bacon half.  Secure with wooden picks.  At this point, we place them in a large Pyrex dish, cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.  When ready, grill the doves over medium-hot coals until the bacon is crisp and the doves are cooked through.

Enjoy!
Smiles!

3 comments:

Entertaining Women said...

Thank you for the recipes! That menu is so over the top and totally you. You put on the best feasts of anyone that I know! Cherry Kay

Devonay said...

Amazing! Sounds like THE party to be at! Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Suzanne said...

Fabulous Menu!!! Love the time and taste that goes into all that planning!
I do the same and keep a baking journal of what I make for who and menus of parties- just knowing I'll need to refer to it someday!
We will be selling our own Christmas journals at the Barn Sale for this purpose and other Holiday memories as well!
Enjoy your MIL's Wild Game Dinner!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails